Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Blown Away by Love: SOS #187

Shopping our Stash's challenge this week is all about Love.  Love, love, love, LUUUURVE!  Sweetie schnook'ems pookie bear...  I wub woo!  Doesn't that make you want to gag? 

Let me show you the love!

I recently overheard some girls gushing about a date one of them was going to go on.  Abigail told Betthany (you know, Girl A and Girl B) how Studly was going to pick her up at 7 o'clock and they were going to go out for drinks, then to dinner, then see a movie, and go to another bar for dancing.  There may have been bowling, road tripping, mountain climbing and a dwarf toss or two in there too. I don't as I got lost in the details because that seemed like a god awful lot to do in one evening.  Then again I'm the type who turns into a pumpkin at 9 pm.  But when it comes to young love, who can say what one is willing to do all in one evening.
I never really dated much, or possibly even at all.  Hubby and I have been married for at least a couple of decades and we've never done date night.  In fact, we both have commented that we don't even know how to date.  I understand that a nice sit down dinner and a movie is frequent date combination, but I don't get it.

 How can you time it so your dinner is over in time to go to the movie?  What if the service is slow?  What if your dinner is served quickly? Then what?  Do you just sit there, restless, making moonie eyes at each other while the wait staff frets at their table turnover rate? Or do you just go and hang out in the theater and watch the "coming attractions" over and over until you want to hang yourself?  That would mean you actually have to spend time conversing with each other?! None if this sounds like a pleasant date.

And what is with these pre-dinner drinks at another location?  Isn't it cheaper just to pop a shot at home? Shouldn't you not be drinking and driving anyway?   What if traffic sucks and you miss your dinner reservation?  What if between dinner and drinks you consume so much you don't have room for popcorn at the movie?! And then more drinks and dancing afterward?!  What do you think I am? An Olympian?

Nope, dating just never was for me. But those kids today.... blown away by young love...

The Fine Print: My stash was thoroughly shopped for this card.  That wavy corrugated cardstock has been around for forever! Plus I have a huge VD (that's Valentine's Day) designer paper stash that simply needs to be used.  Stamp by Penny Black, heart die by Simon Says, heart punch by Marvy, other stuff from my stash.  Maybe it is a guy thing, that dinner and movie combination timing.  I know we've pulled it off before.  Well, lunch and a movie.  And a trip to Pet Smart, which you can use to fill that awkward time. Probably not conducive to young love though.

13 comments:

MaryH said...

Oh this made me laugh. It's a relief to not have all this young angst to deal with. I wouldn't want to be in that world today. (and it wasn't like that in _MY_ day! You just got picked up, went to a movie, and had popcorn & soda. Nobody had extra $$$ to take you out to eat as well!). But it was fun reading your thoughts, and I'm saying "Yeah, I agree" with what you wrote! You know I love this PB hedgie. He's cute as can be, blowing his heart bubbles. (Not seen this one!). Love the pretty pinks and that spiffy 'rickrack' look on the border trim. Nice papers to compliment the requisite hearts too! TFS & giving me a smile at the end of the day. Hugs

stampingbowd said...

LOL! You are so funny!
I didn't really date. I guess my hubs and I sort of dated but a date was one thing and wow, he's lucky he kept me because we went to the same yuck place 3 times! LOL Anyway..........I do love a movie date. It's my favorite thing. Others can go on cruises, dances, European trips, I just want to go to the movie and have popcorn. A sandwich at home first is fine so that there is still room for popcorn but a quick bite is important so that I don't get an ill popcorn stomach. Did I mention that I love to go to the movies??? :) I guess I am not here to chat about movie dates though so.......... Your card is adorable! What a cute image! Love the pink wavy paper. I thought at first it was some sort of fancy fiber. Thanks for sharing this cute card and your fun thoughts!

Shoshi said...

Sweet card, Judy. Thanks for your comment on my blog - your comments always make me laugh!! I'd never thought of shi-sha stitch being a dance! What a laugh! Shi-sha is Indian embroidery where you stitch on tiny mirrors that reflect the light. Because they don't have holes like sequins, you have to hold them down with stitches that cover the edge. They tend to move around a bit till you get them secure, which is a bit of a fiddle at the beginning, but great fun to do, and I am exploring different decorative variations on the basic stitch. Hope this enlightens you somewhat - cha-cha-cha!! Anyway, I'm glad you like what I'm doing, and it is very therapeutic - you get into a sort of rhythm and it's very absorbing. I love working with bright colours too. It's years since I did any embroidery and it's lovely to come back to it.

Shoshi

Carol L said...

What a fun card and a fun post today! The hedgie is adorable, and I just love that wavy panel of pink along the bottom! CA-UTE! Youshould consider writing a book - your take on the dating situation is too funny! At my age of 29 (plus shipping and handling), I wouldn't have a clue how to coordinate a date night either!!! I cook dinner, we have wine and turn the tv on to a movie and save gas by staying home! That's all I know! LOL

RosA said...

Hehe, I'm with you! Yes, I could ask those exact questions too :) Who could be bothered with all that rigmarole? Going out for a nice meal is fine, but only on the spur of the moment, when I can't be bothered cooking, and we don't have to make a reservation, and it's the middle of the week, and it's only 5 mins from home. Yep, that's all good! The alternative is to stay home, eat cheese on toast, drink champagne and watch TV. That works too :)
BTW, your hedgehog is very cute.

Joyce said...

Your card is so very cute. Is that a hedgehog? Funny thoughts about dating. How about--why go on a date and then just sit in a dark movie theatre next to each other? So very glad my dating days are behind me, and my daughters' dating days have yet to arrive.

Craftychris said...

Your card is so cute! I love the hedgehog blowing those sweet little heart bubbles! I love reading your take on dating - I am still laughing! xxx

Donna said...

Hee hee - your blog posts always make me giggle...ahhhhhh love's young dream...who has time for all that! Seriously, I put my pajamas on at 5:30 when I get home from work and my idea of an exciting night is a cuppa tea and a peanut butter cup (or two) while I watch tv before I fall asleep LOL
My hubby stood me up for FOUR MONTHS after our first date - man he's lucky I married him at all!
Petsmart visits are a perfect way to fill the awkward time gap on date night or afternoon :D
Thanks for joining the Shopping Our Stash crew for our "Love Me Do" challenge this week!

chrissy xx said...

The cutest little image! LOving your colours and design.
Well your in's and out's on dating made me smile PJ. Course I think it's a generation thing! What they do now it so much different to what you did. Then again what we did in our era, was different to what our parents did..The worlds moved on..sometimes to fast lol..
Chrissyxx

Kay Miller said...

Well, I came here to see a card... I think? But I got so tickled reading your post about dating that I almost forgot all about the card! haha! So funny! Your card is super cute too! Love that adorable image! I'd rather stay home too :)

Leslie Hanna said...

Super sweet card! And yeah, just READING YOUR POST about dating made me tired. I'm with Donna: jammies at 5 pm is about right for me. I might be old.

Chris Dring said...

You have the funniest posts! So damn funny! That date had to cost a small fortune! Guess I'm just a cheap date, since I'd rather make my own popcorn and rent a movie on Netflix, wearing my jammy-jams! Oh, and your card? Super adorable! Love that hedgehog and I've never seen wavy corrugated paper before! Cool Beans! Thanks for joining us this week at Shopping Our Stash!

Jessi Fogan said...

Hahahaha! I don't know how to date either - married at 19? Dates were movies on cheap night :) I'd be screwed if I ended up single now! lol (PS I also turn into a pumpkin by 9. Usually 8, actually). This is adorable in all its gushy-love-ness!