Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Wanna see mine? (WOYWW 173)

Hi.  Today is What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday and that's a fact, Jack.  It is also a fact that what is on my workdesk is a mess.  That's just how it is, Liz.

Former card blank box

The sad thing about this mess, Bess, is that it isn't a very creative one.  It is one born out of necessity, or possibly desperation.  See I have had this pile of card blanks to the left of my desk for months and months.  You may have seen it in various WOYWW photographs. I add to it when I tidy up by I never pull back out of it.  That is because it was too poorly organized and it took too long to find what I wanted out of it.  That might look like a nice smooth white card blank, but then you'd pull it out and find out it was textured, or off-white, or had a subtle pattern, or was really flimsy cover stock and few of them were scored and ready to go.  Plus the whole thing was open to the world and it often got dusty, especially since I rarely touched it.  I decided to nicely organize it by color and ditch the cover stock. 
New card blank box
 Currently I have more card blanks than will fit in the box but my goal is to have no more than will fit in the box because I'll constantly be using them instead of constantly creating new ones.  So far it has worked well.  The last several cards I've made have had bases from out of this box.  I won't be able to ditch the old box quite yet because of the overflow but I hope I will be able to fairly soon. Stay tuned as I'm sure you'll be able to track the progress during Workdesk Wednesdays.

I received this fun Dracula card from a friend.  We are doing a sketch card swap (mentioned recently when I said I said I lost something important and only found half of it--what I found was her sample card and not the actual sketch, but with the card it was easy to recreate the sketch).  The sketch is the three pieces of different paper with the diagonal piece in the middle.  It is to be broken up by something in the mid lower right corner (Dracula in this case).  The spider webbing is strictly a bonus.  We'll see what I come up with as I haven't tackled this one yet (but when I do I'll have an easily accessible card base!!!!).

The Fine Print: I'm finally onto you wily UKers there! I know what you mean when you say RUB.  I always wondered what kind of box a RUB was as they seemed so wonderful and sturdy with nice lids.  So the other day I was pulling the "Made in the UK" sticker off my Really Useful Box and the light bulb came on!  RUB = Really Useful Box.   Yeah, sometimes you can teach this old gal new tricks!

28 comments:

Squirrel x said...

Ooh get you all Miss Organised! And there is me just pulling card blanks out of the wrapper they arrived in, lol. Great card hun, I feel a bit frit now ... eek. Sxxx

Sheilagh said...

I love that desk :0)

Sheilagh #60

Sandy said...

Oh look at that all nicely organised and all ready for use.. Love the card great layout glad you dound it. Sandy :) #104

Anonymous said...

(smile) one of the reasons i have most of my materials all over my work space and not back in their boxes is i tend to forget what i have, and i buy more. he,he,he... so, i think creatives learn to live with a little clutter. cheers, melinda alpha #55

Anonymous said...

(smile) one of the reasons i have most of my materials all over my work space and not back in their boxes is i tend to forget what i have, and i buy more. he,he,he... so, i think creatives learn to live with a little clutter. cheers, melinda alpha #55

MiniOwner said...

Well done on getting organised. Lovely to visit your desk today. Happy Wednesday :o)
Sue x (MiniOwner #72)

Twiglet said...

I am having a big tidy up in my craft room today - well I was until I decided I needed a coffee and some WOYWW therapy! have a great week. x Jo

Krisha said...

Well done PJ! It is an on going never ending job keeping organised, kinda like keeping up with the laundry!
Krisha #40

Erika said...

Hi Judy I wish I was that organised. Loving your card too, cute Dracula....if he can be cute?!
Enjoy the rest of your Wednesday and happy crafting, hugs
Erika. #89

kay said...

your posts always make me chuckle,i love the fine print. With your RUB box you are on the way to being super organised :)
happy woyww
kay #56

Lunch Lady Jan said...

Love the new box, Knox, for your card, Edouard. How clean, Jean, can you be, Dee?? I've run out of ideas now...!!!
Hugs, LLJ #59 xx

House of Bears said...

What a wonderfully organised card blank box. All of ours are piled in one big card making box under the bears' bed. Must get organised!

Unknown said...

Oh, the Halloween card with fat owls is the cutest thing! I love your big ole desk stuffed with tons of crafty goodies! I think the craft fairies need to sprinkle us all with magic studio dust, because we all need huge studios to house our crafty goods! Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh at #11

May said...

I wanna know how you got those cards in that box before Poppy had at least one sleep in it!!! eh...you are so organised it's scary!!! love the rub.
Brilliant card your friend has made will be looking out for yours!! Have a happy week, Hugs May x x x #52

Bernice said...

This looks very organised now Judy. Now you'll be able to find what you're looking for much more quickly.
Bernice #69

Annie said...

Good luck with the card sorting.....I will be watching you :-)
Hugs,
A x #64

Redanne said...

Had to get the magnifying glass out to read the small print but it did make me laugh - they really truly are useful boxes, just don't close the lid as you will forget what's in there......I speak from experience! Well done on getting organised though, it is a great plan and I hope you can stick to it. Happy WOYWW, Anne x #65

Darnell said...

Good job with tackling the card bases, Princess! It will definitely be easier having it all organized. Way to go!

Have a great week! Darnell #74

BJ said...

Hi Judy, thanks for stopping by, the magazine I was talking about was "Simply Cards & Papercraft" it is ONE publication NOT two. I scrapbook ALL our day to day family photos so June is a bit behind for me - LOL What ATCs have you signed on for? Anyways, your card blank box is SUPER organised so I hope you get down to the one box soon and continue to use up all the lovely blanks you have prepared.

sandra de said...

I think everything always looks better stored in clear plastic. Now I love a box but it just doesn't look as good unless you dolly it up. Then you have used all the time making it pretty because it is a box. (sorry about the rant). Love the dracula card.
Sandra @23

Neet said...

Love your RUB box (tee hee, that made me smile - I have never seen it described as a RUB before and did not know what it meant - and I am one of those UK'ers) Now thanks to you I do. Glad you are getting your card organised but I know what you mean about texture - and I think mine is organised! Doh!
Thanks for sharing and for stopping by my blog. Hugs, Neet x #5

Amy E said...

I'm always making card tops and not the bases. Too bad we don't live closer to each other...we would make quite a team! Haha!

The card your friend made is adorable! LOVE the little red eyes on the dracula!!

Amy E. #8
scrapthissavethat.blogspot.com

MaggieC (Silvercrafter) said...

Oh yes, Judy, you can transfer the ink to yourself from the Splodge mat. You just need to keep the mat to the side of you, and then move it away in between brayering. My desk is no longer quite as tidy as I have two or three projects to set up for a session teaching friend next week, but it is organised "mess". I have tidies up all my card into sensible boxes so that is good. I see you are a Really Useful Box fan too. Thank you for your visit this week. Have a good time using up all those lovely card blanks. xx Maggie #100

RosA said...

So glad you explained what a RUB is! I had no idea! (and it appears I have lots of them.) But then I'm not one of the wily UKers, either.

okienurse said...

look at you! Organization 101! Love the idea of having card blanks ready for crafting! I need to get busy and get the spare bedroom cleaned out and move the craft room around so I can do some better crafting. Hubby leaves for Austria in two weeks and I will get a lot done then!! Have a great week and thanks for visitng. Vickie #87

lisa said...

Ohhh look at you getting all organised. Can you come and do my stack of white, might be off white or cream pile of card too!!!!
Love the Dracula card.
Happy WOYWW
Hugs Lisax #80

Danielle said...

Well Princess Judy, you taught me something too, because I use those boxes all the time and never noticed that RUB stood for really useful box. I think you did a wonderful job storing your card bases in yours. I'll let you in on a little secret, I don't use my lids either. Dani123

Eliza said...

I have one of those card boxes also a patterned box and now you put me to shame. I do try and use mine all the time LOL

Eliza