Saturday, June 23, 2012

Stick a Fork in Me, I'm Done

My fork card
Today was my big stamp club meeting.  I have such a love-hate relationship with this group.  I should explain that person in charge of this group is me, so it isn't just like a group I'm a member of.  I have to be in charge and be responsible.  How icky is that?  I do have a co-conspirator in crime, for which I am very grateful for.

Mostly the group is fun and people truly enjoy our monthly meetings.  Like any large group, we've had our ups and downs.  The biggest hurdle we've faced is the loss of our previous meeting place when the restaurant we met at closed its doors.  Try to find a centralized location for 45+ people to meet, for free, that serves diverse food at a good price, that will let us hang out for an extended period of time and will let us have the room every 4th Saturday of the month. It isn't so easy.  You'll never make everyone happy. 

Today we tried a new place that a couple of our members found and hashed out all details for.  So it was with some trepidation I went to today's meeting, because you just never know with a new place.  But hey! It all worked out excellent. 
 
By Nancy Stroman
One of the fun things we do in our group is called a mystery challenge item.  One person brings in the mystery item and distributes it to everyone who is willing to play.  It is a mystery so you don't know what it is until you get it.  Your challenge is to make a card or art project using that item.  We swap out items by random draw.

Last month we had small silver-colored plastic forks to play with.  Most people used the fork as a fork, but some people got very creative with theirs.  One person used just the tines across a window stamp to create a jail cell.  Another lady put hers on a hand-drawn roadway (the fork in the road, get it?!).  The one I laughed at most was by my friend, who hated the fork so much she wanted to kill it.  So she got out her heat tool and zapped it with extreme prejudice.  It turned black and melted a bit but mostly it shrunk into a much smaller version of itself.  It was very cool looking. She used it as a gnarled tree trunk.

The new challenge


For next month those of us who were up the challenge were given letter charms.  My letter was a V. I used to have these myself.  They hole is designed to hold an eyelet so you can attach the letter to your project. No ideas have jumped to mind yet, but I do have a month to think about it.

The Fine Print: Huh, I really got nothing for ya here.  The forks came from the grocery store and are called appetizer forks.  The papers I used in my card came free with a UK magazine.  The picnic letters and ant are from K and Company.  Any and all suggestions with what to do with the Letter V are welcome!

1 comment:

SandeeNC said...

I really like the group's mystery challenge and hearing what everyone did with it, can I be greedy and say I would love to see what everyone made from it too? I know, I just want it all don't I? lol But I am always fascinated with how different everyone sees one item! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)